Burns Night Main Course
Venison Loin with Crabbie's Red Cabbage, Black Pudding & Ginger Apple Salad
Oven 200c | Gas 6 | Use a stove to oven frying pan
4 x 200gr Venison Loin (You can substitute the venison for Beef fillet)
4tbsp Hawthorn jelly (Redcurrant if you can’t find the Hawthorn)
1 Knorr beef stock pot
100ml Crabbie’s ginger beer
½ red cabbage finely sliced
2 slice of black pudding
1 pink lady apple finely sliced
1 tsp stem ginger chopped very finely
1 tsp butter
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1. Sear in a hot pan the 4 pieces of meat season well & place in oven for 8-12 mins depending how pink you like your meat (Venison can get quite dry if cooked well done so try not to go past Medium well, in order to keep the dish moist.
2. Bake the black pudding slices for in the venison pan for only 5 minutes then remove.
3. Add 4tbsp of Crabbie’s to a pot bring to the boil then add the tsp of butter add the red cabbage and cook just until the liquid has gone.
4. Crumble the black pudding into a bowl and mix with the apple and stem ginger.
5. Once the cabbage has no liquid tip into the bowl with the black pudding & apple.
6. Once meat comes out of the oven set aside on a plate and make the sauce in the pan you cooked the meat in remember the handle is HOT!!
7. Put the pan onto the heat and add left over Crabbie’s whilst pan is really hot, this de glazes the pan and gets all the flavour and bits of meat off the bottom then add the stock pot jelly with 150ml boiling water bring to the boil adding in a sprig of thyme just until its up to the boil allow to reduce slightly to the consistency of a sauce.
8. Spoon a pile of the red cabbage warm salad onto the plate slice the venison and pour sauce over.
Recipe created by Jacqueline O’Donnell